Aiden Man!

Aiden Man!

Monday, November 8, 2010

My daughter

So, I was thinking that I will take advantage of this blog site! I have two girls that are 8 and 6. They fight all the time! I know it is sibling rivalry, but it gets crazy around my house after school! Aftan has been diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, and depression. I am writing a paper about children with ADHD and I am learning so much! ADHD is one of the most individualized disabilities I have read about. My daughter was diagnosed at the end of her first grade year! Her report card grades were between 35 and 68. I had no idea what was wrong with her. In the evening when she would get home from school, I would let her play outside first, because she was wound so tight. I just thought it was because at school, children have to sit still and be quiet for so long, that when she got home she just needed to run. You know like a horse being let out into pasture after beind cooped up in a stall all day. But even after three or four hours of running around out side, she would come in and not be able to sit and do her homework. I know some think, " you should make her do it" , but they did not understand! My daughter was literally "melting" out of her chair, screaming, and pulling her hair out. Now, at first, she could do like the first couple of questions on a paper, but only a few minutes later, she could not be still! My cousin and I were talking at a family reunion and she told me that her daughter was the same way. She took her to the pediatric clinic and they gave her two work books. One for her to fill out and one for the teacher to fill out. It took about three weeks, but her daughter was diagnosed with ADHD. At this time in my life, I had heard the term, but did not know any details or what to look for. I made my little girl an appointment the following Monday. My mom went with us and we talked with the doctor. I then found out that she did more than likely have not only ADHD, but also anxiety and depression. My 6 year old little girl told the doctor herself that when she gets really upset, she cannot breath. I cried so much for her. I gave the teacher the book, filled out mine and had them turned into the doctor within a week. My daughter did in fact have this disability! She was held back in first grade, had all her friends leave her behind, even after the doctor explained to the school that it was not good for her. She had learned all the material, but simply could not complete work sheets until she was prescribed medicine. However, I am extremely happy to say that today, Aftan is a straight A student and is doing very well with making new friends. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Your girls are adorable! I'm sorry your daughter had such a rough time, but glad it's all working out well now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amberlin,
    I think your girls are adorable and you're doing a great job being a mom. I am so glad that your daughter is doing so well in her class now.
    Thank you
    Fariha.

    ReplyDelete