Aiden Man!

Aiden Man!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What I have been facing the last six weeks-for school!

     Well, my life has been very busy here in the last six weeks! I am currently enrolled in school, for those of you who don't know, and I am really enjoying what I am doing in class! I am working on a paper about children with ADHD. I am interested in this because my eight year old daughter is diagnosed with it. I am learning so much from reading different articles and visiting web sites. I have so much information I have gained that there is no way to put all of it in my paper! I have learned that there are emotional challenges that these children deal with everyday. I also learned that there are many things that are just being found about this disorder. For instance, that the recent studies show that long term medicine has less effect as time goes on, which actually helped me understand why it seems that my daughter may be needing her medication upped because her grades are falling and I am having a hard time getting her to sit still long enough to do long enough to finish it!
     As far as how I feel my ideas may help about my topic for my school paper in later reasearch, I do believe that readers may see all different aspects of the disorder. I believe that there are still so much more research to be done on the disorder also. My ideas are mainly that I know that there are people that think that parents of children with ADHD medicate their children because they act like child, but this is not true. The diagnosis of the child has to be within two different surroundings or environments. For instance school and at home. I also want people to read my paper and have some compassion for the child and the parents also. Dealing with children with ADHD requires an extreme amount of patients. So, when you are somewhere and ther is a child that appears normal and is just "out of control" remember that they could have ADHD, which is what makes them act that way. It is not their fault. Most want to do what they are told, but simply cannot do it. I want other parents to read and maybe see what they need to see about their children. Personally, I feel like I failed my daugter because I did not know that she had ADHD until it was too late. She failed the first grade because I did not know that she could not focus during class. She use to scream and pull her hair out when she did her homework! Basically, I have hopes of educating people about the disorder.
     Six weeks is a long time, so here are some personal happenings I have delt with in the past two weeks! My son had to go get his fifteen month check up. I asked about why his ears were always having this funky wax in them and if it was normal. The doctor looked in his ears and everything looked good. She said that he just had ears that drained well. He had a clear, runny nose and she gave him some allergy medicine because I have allergies and so do both of my daughters. This doctor visit happened on a Thursday. The following Friday, he started having a green, runny nose and fever. I took him back on Saturday. He had an ear infection. I thought that was interesting because only days ago, I had the doctor look in his ears and she said they looked great! Doesn't stop there! My daughter comes home from here dads house and she can barely talk and starts running a fever. I take her to the doctor on Monday, and she has strep throat! Wonderful! A couple days later, I have strep throat and so does my other daughter! Oh yeah! Not to mention the last time I took my eight year old to her three month visit for ADHD, the lady at the front told me to just call in for an apptointment and guess what, I forgot! I had to call and explain what had happen and my daugther ran out of her medicine, which is like the worst thing to happen for an ADHD child. She was every where all at one time and I was very sick and could not keep up with her. She got to playing with my son and pushed him too hard on his toy tracter thingy and nearly broke his nose! Anyway!
     That was the week before last! You won't believe what happened this week! Everything was going pretty smoothly (by the way, I'm skipping all the way to Friday because what you are about to read scared me so bad, I have forgotten what happened prior!). I picked the kids up from school and I went home and started making spaghetti. I had it done and turned on the oven to broil the garlic bread. I was stirring the spaghetti and smelt smoke. I turned around and seen where it was coming from the oven. I opened the door, because I hadn't put anything in there yet, and my husband had left a pizza box in there and it was totally on fire!!!!! I was so scared! I turned the oven off and shut the door. I called 911 and told them that I had a fire in my oven and I did't know how to put it out. The whole time, I was grabbing my baby and telling my daughter to go, run over to our neighbors. I left the house even before the alarms went off. I told my neighbor I had a fire and my daughter started crying about the cat. He ran over to our house and looked for him and when he opened the door, smoke rolled out of the door. My daughter started screaming and crying harder. He came back and said he couldn't find him. So, firefighters show up. The fire put itself out! When it burnt all the way up, since I had shut the oven off and shut the door, it suffocated itself. However, there was so much smoke, I had to let my babies stay at my mom's house for the night. I spent nearly 4 days cleaning everything in my house! It still smells a little- like when you burn popcorn. Everyone was and still is okay! Please tell everyone you know first, don't put things like pizza boxes in your oven, and second if you don't have a fire extinguisher, you can use flour or meal to put it out. I asked the firefighter what to do to put it out IF it ever happens again! Thanks for reading! Hope everyone has happy SAFE holidays! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment